Friday, January 6, 2012

Knotted Scarves: My First Attempt

Collage of the first two knotted scarves that I made.

My sister, Diane Bennett introduced me to these fun accessories when she came to visit at Christmas 2011.  She was wearing a pretty white scarf with metallic accents that she had made.  She first saw them at a craft show and after purchasing one, she decided to try her hand at making them.  Her success inspired me and this is the result of my first attempt.

I wish that my camera was better, or maybe just my photography skills, oh well.  I picked up 7 skeins of yarn/fibers at Walmart last night.  Who knew that even Walmart carries such great yarn?  Certainly not me, since I neither knit nor crochet.  The woman who checked out my order kept raving about how beautiful the colors were.  I have to agree, I sure had fun picking them out.  

Bernat Boa in Black Burgundy
I picked out the two Bernat Boa fibers first and then selected other yarns and fiber that would coordinate with them.

Bernat Boa in Orange Burgundy






I really like that the Bernat Boa Black Burgundy and the Bernat  Boa Orange Burgundy had some colors in common. Because of that, I could select other yarns that would work just as well with both of the Bernat yarns.

Lion Brand Fun Fur in Magenta
Lion Brand Fun Fur in Chocolate

My next choice was the Lion Brand Fun Fur in Magenta and Chocolate.  

Lion Brand Hometown USA in Portland Wine


Then I wanted something with a little more weight and that was more "yarny".  So after a lot of hemming and hawing; i.e. another 20 minutes of picking up and putting down a multitude of different yarns, I selected Lion Brand Hometown USA yarn  in  Portland Wine and Oakland Black.  I really like the thick, but soft look and feel of this yarn.  
Lion Brand Hometown USA in Oakland Black

My last selection was another Lion Brand yarn:  Homespun in Ambrosia.  I love the soft, twisty, and variegated look of this yarn.

Lion Brand Homespun in Ambrosia

Anyway, I had a lot of fun playing around with these yarns and fibers.  I can't wait to make some more.  I do want to go to Michaels' and get some more yarn.  They have a great 50% off sale right now, yeah!  Thanks, Diane for the inspiration!  I want to see more of the scarves that you made.

No comments:

Post a Comment