Thursday, March 15, 2012

Getting Back In The Zone

A couple of weeks ago I started making hand stamped cards to send to people for my church's Barnabas Ministry Team.  Years ago, literally 8 or 9 years ago, I did this on a regular basis.  In fact, in the late 90's, I was a demonstrator for Stampin' Up!.  However, I haven't done much stamping at all in the last 5 or 6 years, let alone made cards.  I actually sold or gave away 75% of my stamp sets and supplies.  So when our pastor asked me if I would be interested in making cards for this new ministry, I was willing but afraid that my skills were pretty rusty.  

As I started designing and putting the cards together, I discovered that I was right.  My stamping skills and creativity had deteriorated quite a bit.  I had difficulty coordinating stamps with the appropriate ink and card stock colors,  let alone choosing embellishments.  I had forgotten most of the techniques that I had used previously and my design skills were sorely lacking.  

When I turned to the internet to find some of the rubber stamping web sites that I used to refer to, I discovered that many of them were no longer active.  I have spent the last few days searching out web sites, specifically ones that featured Stampin' Up! card galleries with examples of the older and mostly retired stamp sets that I still have.  I have found a handful of sites and I am so grateful to be able to look at the lovely cards stamped by so many very talented people.  Seeing these beautiful cards has refreshed my memory and revived my excitement for creating hand made cards again.

Here is a list of some of the rubber stamping web sites that I have found.


  • Patstamps  Pat Huntoon  has a great website, blog and newsletter.  She is a self-proclaimed technique   junky and a very talented lady.
  • Splitcoaststampers  A wonderful stamping community with a weekly newsletter that you can subscribe to.  This is one of the best resources on the web for stampers.
  • Home of NuttNHoney  Kim MacNutt's charming website.  There is more here than rubber stamping.
  • SIS Gallery  This gallery is no longer updated as far as I can tell.  But it is a good resource for examples of cards made with the older Stampin' Up! stamp sets.
  • Stamper Gail  This site was last updated in August 03, but it too has examples of cards made with the older Stampin' Up! stamp sets.


I'm reluctant to share pictures of any of the cards that I have made so far, since they still aren't up to par.  However, I will post them so that hopefully when I post more in the future, you will be able to see a big improvement.  Please forgive the blurry photos, my photography skills aren't what they used to be either.


©Stampin’ Up! 1990 – 2012
©Stampin’ Up! 1990 – 2012

©Stampin’ Up! 1990 – 2012

©Stampin’ Up! 1990 – 2012

©Stampin’ Up! 1990 – 2012

©Stampin’ Up! 1990 – 2012


©Stampin’ Up! 1990 – 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment